Thursday, April 24, 2014

Let Me Introduce Myself

Welcome to OC Me - a blog exploring mental health, mindfulness, and what it’s like living with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). My hope for this space is to be able to explore issues and theories that relate to my experiences in a way that makes them accessible and meaningful to others.

But before I run away with blog logistics, let me take a moment to introduce myself and explain what has brought me here. I am a twenty-something student turned teacher newly relocated to Charlotte, North Carolina. I was just starting my first “real” job last year when I was struck with the vicious onset of OCD. My life quickly spiraled out of control, and I had no idea what was happening to me. I had to leave my job, move home temporarily, and get down to figuring out what was going on. Months of therapy and countless hours spent pouring over books later, I was finally diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. It’s been a roller-coaster ride, and I’m only just beginning to sort through the mess of it all. But as I turn this corner in my life, I wanted to set up this blog as a place to learn, grow, and share. Everyone is affected by issues of mental health, probable more frequently than any of us would like to admit. I hope you will find some useful and thought-provoking discussions on this blog, so that we can learn and grow to a place of better mental health together. I also hope that you will comment and leave your thoughts for me and other readers to ponder and respond to. I firmly believe that more information is always better, even if we may have different opinions sometimes.

My aim is to post several times a week on a variety of topics. I will review books, recommend articles and websites, start discussions, and sometimes just vent on what is going on in my life. If you have any suggestions or recommendations for topics I should explore, please leave a comment and I will do my best to oblige!

Lastly, I’d like to end with a message of hope. If you are struggling with any type of mental health issue, you know what it feels like when everything seems to be falling apart around you and your life becomes unrecognizable. I want to encourage you and say that these times will pass, that you can get through the hard times to a better future. It’s a battle we have to fight every day, but we are here to support each other through it. Stay strong and fight hard!


Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment